Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Barbershop Quartet: Part 1

You may not know this about me, but I used to be quite the karaoke connoisseur.  However, I have a new bedtime that doesn't allow for such extravagant, late night ambitions of fame.  Because of this change I have tried to substitute my passion for performing with other musical pursuits.  I joined a church choir, participated in a production of The Pirates of Penzance, and started singing along to the car radio at higher decibels.  However, I needed a real project.  Something that allowed me to be more of a creative director as well as a participant.

So I decided to start a Barbershop Quartet.


Actually, it all started with this vintage jacket (thanks Allyson!).



Okay, great.  So I have a piece of the wardrobe, but where to from there?  First things first.  After putting the word out amongst friends I managed to find some interested participants.  We rallied together for a cup of coffee and our first meeting to devise a game-plan.  It seemed that above all else, most importantly... we needed a name.  Allow me to introduce...



The White Chips



Our fourth member, Randy, had Father's Day responsibilities.  Here's a pic of him with his boys hanging all over him.


Go Daddy, Go!

We discussed our musical inclinations.  We discussed our image.  We discussed Lady Gaga.  We left no genre unexplored.  Eventually, we resolved to not limit ourselves to Barbershop Quartet traditions.  Striped suits, accapela arrangements, quaint songs about girls named Matilda who enjoy a good waltz; we didn't have to be all or any of these stereotypes, all or any of the time.  We agreed to perform music that we liked in a way that was natural to us, figuring it out as we go along.  We will not be governed by any one individual, but by a majority vote.  And thus, we had a mission and course of action.




Our first homework assignment:

Individually, we will bring 5 songs to the next meeting that we think will work well for a four part harmony ensemble.  As a group we will then narrow the selection to 10 songs.  We will also research Barbershop Quartets to know the basics that we can then expand on, and also look into modern interpretations.

Here's one of my favorite accapella performances that's been buzzing around the web.  Enjoy, and we'll see you after a few rehearsals.






2 comments:

hayliebird said...

this is soooo amazing!
i can't wait to see you perform. you are so talented in soooo many ways- but i must say, i really love to hear you sing. i miss those days of karaoke with you. i am so glad you are finding new outlets.
xoxo
p.s. these on the rocks guys are pretty good!

sunshine said...

What a great idea! I love it!
When I clicked on the video, my youngest asked, "Is that Daddy??" because my husband is ALWAYS singing Lady Gaga. :)
Can't wait to find out which songs you decided upon.
All the best!

((Hugs))
Laura