Friday, June 25, 2010

Game Night Apps: Sweet Potato Enchiladas



I love a good game night with the boys as much or more than the next bloke.  The bets and wagers igniting primal survival instincts as we size each other up for signs of a bluff.  Despite all that testosterone it's rarely a night of pure machismo.  It's also an opportunity to catch up, tell jokes, listen to some groovy old tunes, and eat primo apps.


I will be the first to admit that I don't cook. I mean never. My apartment came sans kitchen and that's the way I like it.  However, I do love food and jump at any opportunity to enjoy a free meal that I expelled no energy to prepare.  When pondering the world's smorgasbord I find there's nothing more satiating than a tasty appetizer, and when my friend, Caryn, suggested this dish I knew I was in for something magical.


Caryn is a born-again foodie.  God love her.  She incessantly facebooks about her crusades into the culinary world, and her tales are often drool inducing.  I must preface by saying this is not her recipe but was lovingly handed down to her, as it was handed down to me, as I now hand down to you.  Sweet, spicy, and pure comfort food, it is perfect for a crowd of hungry gamblers.  I need to thank her for all the assistance she rendered with this post (primarily that whole "cooking" part).  You're a doll!  Enough gab, let's cook!


Sweet Potato Enchiladas
?WhAt's iN the MiX? 
2 - large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup - chopped red onion
1 - bag of shredded Mexican cheese
6-8 - small flour tortillas (the fact that they're small is what makes this an appetizer, of course)
1 - 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 - can of Medium salsa
1 - small can of diced green chiles, drained
1 - can of black beans, drained

Not pictured:
1 - tablespoon chili powder
Salt and black pepper
1 - tablespoon olive oil
1 - large garlic clove, minced



1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Peel and cube your sweet potatoes, arranging them in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet.  Roast them until tender, turning once for about 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and set them aside.



2.  Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.  Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.   Add the garlic and chiles and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add the beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in the sweet potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.  Set aside.



3.  Place a tortilla on a flat work surface.  Spoon a portion of the sweet potato mixture down the center of the tortilla and roll it up. 



4. Place the filled tortilla in a pre-salsa-ed baking dish, seam side down.  And...... repeat.



5. Spoon any remaining filling mixture on top of the enchiladas, top with remaining salsa, and sprinkle with the onion and cheese.  Cover and bake until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.  



6. Serve hot.  Caryn adds tortilla chip crumbs to the top.  I recommend it.



3 comments:

pammalu said...

I'm gonna surprise my bloke with these enchiladas... he's gonna go crazy!!
Love that they are vegetarian, too. Thank you, please!
xo

Joe Bush said...

Beans bean they are good for your heart the more you eat the more you...
I LOVE IT! Kyle its yum yum for the tum tum! xoxo

Kenneth said...

Love your literary style. The food looks great too. Keep it coming.