Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Campy KP Duty


If you've ever been to summer camp - I mean serious summer camp - then you are probably familiar with the unfortunate responsibility of KP duty, otherwise known as Kitchen Patrol.  Not the most glamorous commission, but at least it's a step above latrine duty.  The job entails setting the table, fetching the food and drink, and then cleaning up after everyone.  Think of it as boot camp for professional party planners.


Some may see this unpleasant assignment as nothing more than scrounging up the grub for some under-appreciative boy scouts and then tidying up their mess.  However, with the help of some creative serving accessories, you can view it as an opportunity to play host to a marvelous outdoor party.


"But Kipper, how will I know what kind of plates are right for me???"  Here's a quick guide with some advice on how style and function can merge on your campsite.



1. Vintage, stainless steel plates are super masculine and utilitarian.  
A classic solution, and perfect for the minimalist outdoors-man.



2. These vintage enamelware plates have an unexpected splash of color with their speckled yellow glaze.  Great for the host who isn't afraid of a little drama.



3. Fall is the perfect time to incorporate these dark green lunch trays.  
Back to School meets Summer Camp at it's most vintage-finest.



4. For a truly campy camping experience use these commemorative 
melamine plates from the cult -British comedy classic, "Carry on Camping."




5. And lastly, the newest addition to my collection is this vintage set of Texan enamelware.  
It's quirky yet masculine design is great for chowing down some grub out on the open range.


4 comments:

pamma said...

I adore everything you do here.
*sigh*
xo

Amy said...

Hi! I like your blog a lot! I was wondering if you knew something about the dishes in your first photo. The ones with the gingham and fruit... I have those and would love to keep an eye on ebay/etsy for more and for possibly other coordinating items, but they have no mark on the bottom. Do you kn ow who made them?
Thanks!

Kipper Millsap said...

I saw these plates in at Antiques on Broadway in Kansas City, Missouri, and do not have a way of checking them. I just snapped the shot while I was visiting back in June. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help!

sunshine said...

Oh my gosh! You just sent me reeling back into the 70's!!
My Dad was hardcore into those "Carry On..." movies. Haha!

((Hugs))
Laura